Permit & Permit Testing
Steps to obtain your permit:
- Study using Virginia Driver's Manual prior to taking the test.
- Go to the DMV in person to take the test. Information available here.
- Bring a Parent
- Must be 15 and 6 months or older
- Pass 3 tests
- Sign tests (must get all correct)
- General Knowledge test (must earn 80% or get 24 out of 30 correct)
- Vision Test
- Once earned, permit must be held for 9 full months before receiving a license.
Permit Testing at Chantilly High School
- Must be 15 years and 6 months
- Register at least 2 days prior to the testing date
- First 2 attempts of the Permit Test may be taken at Chantilly High School
- Arrive on time with computer and receipt of registration on the testing date
- Dates for the Learner’s Permit Test at Chantilly High School this year are:
- Due to the COVID-19 protocols, Learner’s Permit Testing at Chantilly has been suspended until further notice. Students can check the Student Google Site – under Driver’s Education, for announcement of dates and times when, and if, these protocols change. Parents should look for an email or community announcement from Chantilly High School.
- Have you failed the permit test 3 times and need to take it a 4th?
- The VDOE, in partnership with VADETS, is pleased to announce the new Online Driver’s Manual Course.
This learner’s permit test prep course is for students who are:
Preparing to take the learner’s permit test
Under age 18 and have failed the learners permit test 3 times
But have successfully completed a Classroom Driver Education course
18-years-old or older and have failed the Learner's Permit test 3 times
- Not successfully completed a Classroom Driver Education course,
- Want to take the Learner’s Permit a fourth time.
More information about the information above can be found on DMV's website
This curriculum enhanced student learning for all students - ELL and special education students successfully passed the learner’s permit test!
What is the process for students who complete the Online Driver’s Manual Course?
Upon successful completion of the Online Driver's Manual Course, the teacher will mail a DMC-3 certificate of completion to the student.
- Students under 18 will present the DMC-3 certificate, along with the DEC-1 or DEC-8 driver education classroom completion certificate, to the DMV so that they can re-take the learner’s permit test a 4th time.
Students over 18-years-of-age will take the DMC-3 certificate of completion for the Online Driver's Manual Course to DMV to take the learner’s permit a 4th time. The cost for the course is $49.