Class of 2020 Senior Spotlight - Caroline Weeren, Chantilly High School, Chantilly Academy
Translate this page
1) What have you learned about yourself since the COVID-19 closures?
I’ve learned that I’m pretty self-motivated. It hasn’t been hard for me to get my school work done without the structure of a normal school day. But I really miss seeing my friends and teachers.
2) What has been your biggest disappointment/hardship since schools have been closed for the remainder of the academic year?
The school year ending so abruptly and not being able to say goodbye to my friends, counselor, and teachers is really hard.
3) What are your plans for the fall?
In the fall I plan to attend The Citadel in South Carolina and be a part of their Honors College. I will major in either Computer Science or Mechanical Engineering. I will also be playing soccer and contracting with the Air Force.
4) How have your plans changed, if at all?
My plans have not changed. I was lucky to find out in October that I was accepted to The Citadel and received an offer to play soccer. It was nice to find out early in my senior year because I didn’t have the normal stress of waiting to find out where I’d been accepted.
5) What is your passion?
My passion is playing soccer. I enjoy training and playing games. It also gives me a chance to spend time with friends who have the same interests as I do.
6) Have you discovered a new passion in light of social distancing?
Since social distancing has started, I’ve been going on long bike rides by myself which allows me to leave the house and exercise. It also gives me time to think and clear my head.
7) What are your hopes for the future?
I hope to be an officer in the United States Air Force and travel as much as possible.
8) Is there anything else you’d like us to know about you?
I’m thankful for my experiences in Fairfax County Public Schools. I’ve had great teachers and have been able to take some really interesting classes.
9) What are you most proud of about your school experience/best memory?
It’s hard to just pick one memory but the one that immediately comes to mind is playing in the State tournament for Girls Soccer my sophomore and junior years. Along that same line, team dinners were always a lot of fun. It was great to spend time with the players outside of practices and games. We always laughed a lot and had delicious food. It’s one of the things that makes me most sad about sheltering in place.