Korean Student Exchange Program
Chantilly High School and Sangwon High School, Daegu, Korea
Chantilly High School, with support from the Fairfax County Public Schools and the South Korean Ministry of Education, has a partnership With Sangwon High School located in Daegu, South Korea. Chantilly High School students have a unique opportunity to participate in a cultural exchange program with international education students from Sangwon High School.
We are seeking 6 families from the Chantilly community who are each willing to host two Sangwon High School students in their homes from January 15-21, 2020. In exchange, the selected Chantilly host students will travel to Daegu, South Korea during the week of Spring Break April 2-13, 2020.
The cost to Chantilly students, who are selected, will be approximately $1,100 (An estimated value of well over $3,000).
What we are looking for:
- 6 Chantilly High School families who are willing to host two Korean students in their home during the week of January January 15-21, 2020. These students may speak very minimal English, and may be either male or female.
- Students and families who will be excellent ambassadors for Chantilly High School and FCPS.
- Families willing and available to provide guests with experiences that allow exposure to local landmarks and culture (their stay will span a weekend)
- Chantilly Students will be expected to travel to Sangwon High School in Daegu, South Korea during the week of Spring Break (travel plans still formulating) April 2-13, 2020. Chantilly students will be staying in a combination of both private homes and hotels.
- All individuals over the age of 18, who reside with the host family, must be willing to submit to a background check through Fairfax County Public Schools.
There will be 2 interest meetings:
- After school Tuesday, October 15 in Sub School 2 at 3:05 pm (brief, 10 minute explanation of the program)
- Thursday, October 17 at 6:30 pm in the Chantilly High School Library for both students and parents (Applications for the program will be given out during this meeting)
For Additional information, please email Tim O’Reilly at @email
Tentative Itinerary for Korean students traveling to Fairfax during the week of January 6 – 13:
- Wednesday, January 15th
- Students from Korea will arrive at CHS at 2:30. We will welcome the visiting students at Chantilly HS with ceremony and then connection with host families.
- Thursday and Friday January 16th-17th
- Visiting students will ride busses and attend classes with host students.
- The weekend of January 18th– 19th
- Host families, and their Korean guests, will spend time separate from the group, getting to know each other, and touring the local area (i.e., Smithsonian, Capital Building, Memorials, etc.).
- The week of January 20th – 21st
- Our Korean guests will attend school with their host student. They will be allowed to ride the bus if that is their mode of transportation to Chantilly.
- Korean students will attend classes with their host, as well as some specialized classes
- Korean and Chantilly students may take one or two “field trips” on Wednesday and/or Thursday. Sangwon HS Students will likely depart Wednesday morning, January 22nd.
Tentative Itinerary for Chantilly Students traveling to Korea during Spring Break (March 23 – April 2)
- Friday, April 3rd-likely departure for Korea
- Saturday April 4th-11th TBD
Further information on safety, medical facilities, etc. can be found on the U.S. Department of State’s, Bureau of Diplomatic Security website (https://www.osac.gov/pages/ContentReportDetails.aspx?cid=17513).